thatgamecompany is best recognized for creating award-winning, enriching, and meaningful game titles such as Journey, Flower, and flOw. Our most recent game, Sky, is our most complex undertaking to date. It is a social network built around the values inherited from a powerful humanistic story. It is a live experience continuously evolving inside a global online theme park.
The studio is expanding rapidly and we are looking for an experienced, agile Controller to help us navigate these Financial waters.
This new role within the operations department will work closely with the CFO and oversee, develop and lead core operation processes within Accounting. You will be hands-on, understand accounting operations, and have the ability to be collaborative. You will also play a vital role in the organization around change management, improving processes, scaling accounting, company infrastructure, and operations. The ideal individual will maintain and enforce accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP; and ensure the integrity of TGC’s financial data and reporting.
- Collaborate with CFOO to develop short and medium-range financial goals and strategies
- Develop knowledge in the business performance and financial drivers in order to advise on key business planning assumptions and opportunities
- Partner with various departments to execute on business initiatives including ad-hoc financial modeling and analysis to support business expansion plans
- Prepare management reports and perform business analysis for executive leadership
- Manage and oversee treasury and cash management and day-to-day commercial banking relationships
- Manage and oversee all general accounting functions, including month-end close, account reconciliation and variance analysis, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general accounting
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure the integrity, accuracy, and compliance of financial statements in accordance with GAAP standards, along with ensuring timely closures of monthly/quarterly/annual reports
- Provide expertise and develop roadmaps for the implementation of accounting policies and the accounting for complex transactions, improving processes to grow the accounting function and safeguard assets
- Identify and develop process improvements in all accounting and operational areas, such as establishing and maintaining business policies and internal controls
- Assist in the annual and periodical budgeting process, and engage cross-functional leaders to prepare business forecasts, reports, and budgets
- Review and lead tax compliance with external advisors to ensure the accurate and timely completion of all tax returns
- Assist with establishing and maintaining business policies and internal controls
- Work with key stakeholders to establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes, and data, and enhance the company’s value
- Partner with the Head of Human Resources to provide financial support as needed for payroll and employee benefits
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Business Administration;
- Minimum 12 years of progressive experience in a corporate accounting role;
- Experience leading accounting operations, monthly accounting close, and preparation of financial reports
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills (technical skills as well as big picture)
- Proven ability to lead, manage and develop high performing teams
- Ability to build strong relationships with senior executives and be a trusted and reliable source of information, analysis, and support
- Experience in technology/video game industry is a huge plus;
- CPA (or equivalent) license.