thatgamecompany is building an innovative, data-driven, real-time, and seamless match-making system, which will be the core technology of current and future games of our studio. It will change the experience of multiplayer social games. The company is also operating our current title Sky: Children of Light of which generates terabytes of data per day.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to help us explore match-making solutions, architect large-scale and highly available backend systems and take dev-ops responsibilities to serve millions of players.
On any given day at thatgamecompany, you might:
- Design and implement large-scale, highly available backend systems that serve thousands to millions of concurrent players and aim for zero downtime.
- Embrace modern technology of container and cluster management to make our backend stack more elastic and robust, and the deployment process more agile and reliable.
- Design and improve the architecture of our real-time match-making system, as well as the peripheral data pipeline that enables global data-driven match-making at large scale.
- Monitor the backend health and respond to any failures or glitches in order to deliver a smooth online experience to players all over the world; keep improving dev-ops tools to make the job more automatic and error-proof.
We expect you to:
- Have thorough understanding of scalable and highly available backend systems; be familiar with open-source distributed system tech stacks, including but not limited to scalable databases, caching strategy, distributed transactions and dev-ops tools.
- Be able to extract useful information from different sources of logs, find correlations between multiple layers of systems and diagnose failures, suspicious behaviors and performance bottleneck from bottom to top.
- Be comfortable to work with Linux ecosystem; be fluent in Linux or macOS bash CLI tools.
- Have deep knowledge of at least one of C++, Python, Go or Erlang.
- Have deep knowledge of at least one SQL or NoSQL database.
- Eager to learn any new technology and always open to jump out of your comfort zone.
Any of the following would be highly preferred, but most of all, we value engineers who are eager to learn new ways to deliver value to players:
- Deep understanding of Go or Erlang.
- Have managed and maintained production environment on AWS or GCP.
- Have deployed services using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experienced in large-scale deployment or performance tweaking of PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis or ELK stack.