At thatgamecompany, we’re building a new global social adventure game called “Sky” that will depend on real-time matchmaking systems to connect players together. As we begin to embark on its beta testing phase, we are looking to recruit a Backend Engineer to help support our team as we actively test our game at a larger scale and iterate on our game design.
This role requires a candidate who:
- Continually refines and scales a dynamic drop-in drop-out matchmaking system built on top of Erlang, C++,Redis ,and Postgres and MongoDB.
- Creates and maintains high volume C++ game client systems to sync player state in a reliable, secure and scalable manner.
- Will provision dynamic AWS environments using Ansible and Python.
- Can help guide future multiplayer technology, systems and design
On any given day at thatgamecompany, you might:
- Convert a high throughput http request to store data in a sharded Redis cluster instead of a Postgres database.
- Create a live updating SVG heatmap visualization of player positions over time.
- Tune the disconnect timeouts on a game server based on player usage patterns.
- Automate the provisioning of a sharded ElastiCache cluster.
Candidates who may enjoy the role will:
- Have minimum 3+ years experience in developing and maintaining live backend systems.
- Value simple solutions that get the job done
- Be comfortable in a dynamic, fast-moving game development studio